Oatmeal with flax, yogurt, jam, and chia seed ~ Ham Pie Sandwiches

08 March 2015

Oatmeal with flax, yogurt, jam, and chia seed

Oatmeal with flax, yogurt, jam, and chia seed

Okay! Things have clearly been busy at our house. Everything we eat lately seems to be something I've written about before. Pasta fagioli, salads with nice homemade dressing, enchiladas, quesadillas: yes, yes, yes and yes. (Although now I am noticing just how old these posts are and thinking about writing them up again anyway.)

These are our house standards, and we love them. It's really nice to have a variety of autopilot dishes under your belt, so during those weeks when you have to commute an hour and twenty minutes (one way) to a conference that starts at 8 am, you can still eat actual food.

I got home Friday night post-conference at roughly 7:45, and John seared me a piece of fish with lemon and parsley, chopped up some romaine for salad, and poured me a glass of wine. It was an excellent plan. Later I fell asleep with my glasses on and laptop open.

This morning I had oatmeal. Want to see some oatmeal?

Oatmeal with flax, yogurt, jam, and chia seed

Oatmeal with flax, yogurt, jam, and chia seed

rolled oats
flaxseed meal
water
salt
yogurt, jam, and chia seed to top

Put as many oats as you want to eat into a small pot, along with a teaspoon or two of flaxseed meal and a generous several shakes of salt. Cover with water to about one finger's width above the oats. Cook over medium-high to high heat for five minutes, or until the oats are done to your preferred consistency, stirring occasionally. A longer boil will mean thicker oatmeal.

Put your finished oatmeal in a bowl and top with yogurt, jam (mine was apricot), and chia seed, or switch it up and add whatever you like.

What are some of your favorite things to eat over and over, frequently when you're too busy to think of new things to make?

5 comments:

Marissa said...

I could definitely get into waking up to this for breakfast, Eileen. Yum!

Michelle said...

How nice of John! Commuting. I do not miss it. Oatmeal is so good but so not filling for me. Drives me nuts! I miss yogurt though!

Joanne said...

Having early days and late nights like that is so stressful! Glad to hear that John is stepping up to the plate. :P This oatmeal sounds like a great way to start the day!

Cathleen said...

How have I not thought of this?? I have been OBSESSED with oatmeal lately, but have not tried this!

Sippity Sup said...

Very charming that prince of yours. I need someone to cook for me sometimes. GREG