Homemade dill-dijon mayonnaise and the egg salad thereof ~ Ham Pie Sandwiches

12 May 2014

Homemade dill-dijon mayonnaise and the egg salad thereof

Homemade dill-dijon mayonnaise and the egg salad thereof

Homemade mayonnaise is supposedly difficult to make correctly. That's interesting, because this took under five minutes to make and had no issues whatever. Don't be scared--just give it a try!

The worst that can happen is that your mayo breaks. To fix a broken mayonnaise, all you have to do is get out another egg yolk and gradually whisk your broken mayo into it. No problem.

We wanted a super-flavorful mayo, so John (who was at the whisk) broke out the jar of dijon mustard, a bunch of fresh dill, and some chive blossom vinegar.

Let's go!

Egg salad on a radish slice

Mayonnaise with dill and dijon

1 egg yolk
splash of vinegar (chive blossom, white wine, or champagne)
spoonful dijon mustard
salt, pepper
1/2 cup grapeseed oil
chopped fresh dill (or other herbs of your choice)

Mix together egg yolk, vinegar, dijon, and salt and pepper to taste. Gradually whisk in the oil until your mayonnaise is completely emulsified. Fold in as much dill as you like. Taste and correct the seasonings, and you're done.

You can use this immediately or stick it in the refrigerator to use later. Fresh mayonnaise only keeps for about 3-5 days, so make plans to use it up quickly!

Now that you have some homemade mayo, what should you do with it? My vote is always and forever for egg salad.

Homemade dill-dijon mayonnaise and the egg salad thereof

Egg salad for two

5 hard-boiled eggs
3-4 radishes
a handful apiece of fresh dill and chives
3-4 tbsp homemade mayo
1 tbsp dijon mustard or more to taste
salt, pepper

Chop your eggs. I like to chop mine irregularly for a more interesting texture in the final product. Slice your radishes and cut across the slices to make little strips. Chop further if you want smaller bits. Wash and chop up a healthy whack of both chives and dill.

Deposit your eggs, radishes, herbs, mayo, and mustard into an appropriate bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix everything together, correct seasonings, and you're done. Hooray!

Homemade dill-dijon mayonnaise and the egg salad thereof

This recipe makes enough for four open-faced egg salad sandwich halves or two very full closed sandwiches, plus some leftovers to scoop onto radish slices. You could also serve spoonfuls in nice crisp lettuce leaves or endive boats. Hooray!

Now I really want to take a batch of these on a picnic, with a bagful of apples and a cold bottle of sauvignon blanc. So perfect for summer.

Have you ever made homemade mayonnaise? How did it go?


7 comments:

Michelle said...

I still can't make this "easy." It seriously took 30+ minutes to make it last time after screwing it up three times. Cue classic case of making easy things harder than they need to be.

That said, this egg salad looks sooooo good. It ranks up there as my favorite sandwich topping of all time.

Joanne said...

I made my first aioli a few weeks ago and was SO AMAZED at how easy it was and how quickly it came together!! Next up - homemade mayo. Love all the flavor you've infused into it!

Jes said...

Homemade mayo is just the best! I used to make big batches with my stand mixer, never had a problem. Smaller batches are a wee bit tough though. But oh, that egg salad--I need it in my life. !!

nancy at good food matters said...

I love homemade mayos and aiolis--what has captured my attention is your chive blossom vinegar! now that I've found your post on it, I am anxious to make it. Beautiful. I'm sure it added amazing flavor to your mayonnaise.

sprinklesandsauce said...

yum! love dill and dijon!

Anonymous said...

This egg salad looks downright gourmet! I've never tried making my own mayonnaise, but I might have to soon, so that I can try this egg salad!

Marissa said...

This is seriously making my mouth water! Love the idea of dijony mayonnaise...