GIANT BURRITO ~ Ham Pie Sandwiches

25 March 2013

GIANT BURRITO

giant burrito with refried black beans, brown rice, avocado, cheddar, cilantro

There comes a time in every girl's life when she just wants to eat the most gigantic burrito possible.

Actually, for "a time" substitute "all the time."

Yeah. This weekend we happened on the largest tortillas I've ever seen--12 inches in diameter. What better excuse could we possibly have for making gigantic burritos?

I sauteed some garlic, jalapeno, red and green pepper, and frozen corn in olive oil, seasoned the pan with cumin, oregano, ground New Mexican hot chile, and onion powder (there being no actual onion in the house), and mixed that with a couple cans of refried black beans. You could clearly use your own black or pinto beans instead. I made short-grain brown rice in the rice cooker and warmed up the tortillas in a foil packet in the oven. They were too big to fit in the toaster oven. Yeah.

Assembly: beans, rice, thinly sliced cheddar, hot sauce, avocado, and some mixed lettuce from the farmer's market. I had cilantro in mine too. We forgot to cut up the green onion, but oh well. Note the random piece of purple lettuce peeking out of the end.

giant burrito with refried black beans, brown rice, avocado, cheddar, cilantro

The result? One huge burrito for each of us, and three additional similarly huge burritos for the freezer. I left the avocado and lettuce out of the frozen versions, since those obviously would not do so well in the cold. But I can't say I'll mind smashing up a batch of guacamole or pouring a bunch of tomatillo salsa over a hot emergency burrito in the future.

MOST SATISFYING DINNER EVER.

11 comments:

Michelle said...

You're a girl after my own heart. I love gigantic burritos. You almost never find the gigantic tortillas, though. Granted you live in a place where there is probably a tienda on every street corner. Jealous.

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how much I love the concept of the "emergency burrito." So true!

Eileen said...

The thing is, we don't have a tienda on every corner! Downtown we have a small standard independent, an Asian bodega, and a Persian market. If you go further afield you get various Asian, Indian, and Latin American stores, plus one solitary Russian market. I think there's just a large enough Latino population that even big stores stock a larger variety of staples.

Catherine Weber said...

Burritos are one of my most favorite things in the whole world. I can pretty much always go for beans and cheese in whatever form they arrive! Yum.

foodfeud said...

Ooohh I haven;t had a burrito in a long time. Beyond being totally satisfying, they're usually pretty healthy and actually a well-rounded meal. Perfect.
Today I found a can of refried beans in my mother's cupboard that expired in 2012. I can't even guess how long that had been there. If only she knew about the importance of making burritos.

Unknown said...

I think most days are days perfectly suited for a huge, fat burrito. Well done. Love the excessive use of avocado!!

Caz said...

This looks amazing and includes so many of my favourite things but...I've never had a burrito. Time to change that I think!

Jes said...

Why hello there giant burrito! Aren't you amazing looking?

Monet said...

I could eat a burrito every single day of my life. Especially one filled with all this goodness. Thank you so much for sharing it...and making me hungry! As always, a visual and sensory delight. I hope you have a wonderful week!

Eileen said...

Never had a burrito?? OH MAN. You must try. Ok, I've heard it's really hard to find pinto beans in Britain, but I'd think London is the most likely place to find them. Or maybe black beans are easier to find. Just don't use red kidney beans! And what is the tortilla situation like?

Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche said...

This definitely looks like a portion size I could get behind haha. Looove me a burrito :D